Sunday 19 February 2012

Weekend Update....wow.

Just woke up from a long winter's nap and wanted to share my Saturday with you.  Tim is watching the Northern Trust Open beside me on the sofa and Bailey is parked right between us.  As I mentioned last week, there was a story in the local paper recently about a lady from Regina named Dionne Warner who is a 7-time canser survivor. That's right, I said 7.  Breast canser, brain canser, liver canser, lung canser that spread to her bones, spine and pelvis. She has written a book called "Never Leave Your Wingman" and was appearing at the local bookstores this weekend to do some signings.  So Tim and I, not knowing what time she would be there, just happened to walk in while she was setting up and were lucky enough to get to meet and talk to her.  

She and her then-fiance were newly engaged when she was diagnosed with liver canser after already beating breast canser and brain canser - and she gave him the same "out" that I offered Tim when I was diagnosed.  Thankfully, he too declined, stating, "You never leave your wingman."  Their story has some amazing parallels to ours - co-workers, one from Ontario and one from Saskatchewan who fell in love despite the distance created by the vast province of Manitoba. (I hate to admit to all the my Winnipeg friends how many times I have wished Manitoba just didn't exist - sorry.) Insert sheepish look here.

To be honest, I panicked at the last minute and had a really hard time introducing myself. Not sure what to say, afraid I would cry and make a fool of myself, I literally ran away - to the self-help section. There may me a hidden meaning  there, but let's not dwell, shall we?  I mean seriously, what could I possibly have to say to someone who had been through so much?  Luckily, I had Tim with me and HE went to talk to her and there was nothing left to do but follow. And she was amazing. Amazingly warm and inviting. She looked amazingly strong and vital and healthy and beautiful. Just 2 years ago she was diagnosed with Stage IV canser and today she is in remission. Not stable. In remission.  After a good chat comparing our stories, she signed our copy of her book, "To Barb and her wingman, Tim", gave me a shiny stone with the word HOPE etched on it and hugged us both.  And I bawled like a damn baby.  And all I have to say is WOW. What an amazingly strong and positive lady - THAT is the kind of story that proves that we can do this.  








Anyway, we have not yet read the book in it's entirety - but those of you who know us well will be unsurprised by the fact that I have already read the portion describing their romance and Tim has been pouring over the naturopathic treatments and diet regimen that she followed, armed with a fistful of highlighters and sticky notes.  This book and Dionne's story have really inspired in us a feeling that no matter how bleak things look, there is always HOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment