Tuesday 7 February 2012

Chemo #3 - Too Early to Predict Winner - but My Money's on Me!

Well Chemo Day #3 is almost over! And so far (knock on wood) things are going very smoothly. The GREAT news is that my hemaglobin is up to 119 as a result of the last transfusion, so that explains why I have been feeling so much better!  

I slept well last night, just fast. I went to bed at 11pm and woke at 5am - turns out 6 hours just isn't enough these days. Add to that an Emend, Ativan, a boatload full of chemo and chemo care drugs AND my own chemo suite with a bed - and there is no way I wasn't grabbing a few zzz's. Unfortunately for Chantelle, I was out cold for about two hours! Although it did give her a good chance to get a lot of admin work done....


Below is a pic of my PICC (giggle). Pretty, huh? This is the permanent IV catheter in my arm that means I don't have to get needle pokes anymore. It's pretty slick but also means showering is a thing of the past.  And long sleeves are a necessity in order to look normal...DEFINITELY need to get back to working out - I miss the GUNS - these scrawny chicken wings have to go!




 Here are my little Monkey Mascots that hang out at chemo with me - courtesy of Sarah and Rusty and Kathleen and Elaina Dolan...every team needs a mascot or two!

 

Wanna' see my 5-FU condom in a bottle?  Could they make them any bigger or less subtle? Seriously IMPOSSIBLE to hide that sucker in a pocket somewhere.


SO, I am still feeling pretty good, but that's not shocking. Things tend to go sideways on Day 3 or 4. The only new side effect today is the beginning of cold sensitivity in my fingertips - feels like pins and needles that gets extreme when I touch anything cold.  The nurse suggested keeping mittens beside my refridgerator...a bit of a pain in the ass if you ask me.



 Daddio and his grand-dog.  They are inseparable when he is here taking care of me.  He will stay at least a few days to make sure I keep eating once the fatigue kicks in and drive me back to the hospital on Thursday to have the 5-FU removed. 
Starting to feel tired and a bit yucky, so time to wind down for the night...






1 comment:

  1. Hey, Barb! Just wanted to say that while I HATED my PICC-line being there all the time, it surely would have been a whole new hell having them try to access my teeny, rolly veins and then probably burn them out with the toxic chemo drugs. I had to remind myself a lot to be thankful for it.

    Remember me to Tracey and Carol if they're the same people doing the flushing and bloodwork in phlebotomy. They are so nice!

    It's amazing to me how we do this ... smile cheerily through chemo ... show off our entrapments like they're engagement rings! Not criticizing! Just laughing! That sure is a rotten non-subtle piece of ickiness they send you home with. Come on medical people - enlist a design team already!

    I'm so glad that transfusion made such a difference for you, Barb! Amen!

    ReplyDelete