Thursday 23 February 2012

Sleepless in Saskatoon...Update on #4

Couldn't sleep so gave up and came down to the sofa. Pretty sure Tim's imminent departure is creating some anxiety. My mind is going a million miles an hour and refuses to rest, so thought I would do a Chemo #4 update.  I'm feeling pretty good so far, just some minor eye twitching, cold sensitivity in my fingers and throat and (likely unrelated) a new and very irritating case of plantar fasciitis. For those of you who  may be unfamiliar with the term - my foot hurts like a bugger whenever I try to walk on it. And it comes and goes. Awesome.

I had Chemo session #4 yesterday. The good news is that my hemoglobin is the highest it's been since I first got sick in September!  This session was the first time I had to share a Chemo Suite - didn't love that, but I guess it is to be expected now and then. We had to be at the canser clinic at 8:30am, which let's face it, is just about the time I am usually rolling out of bed these days so it was an early morning for me.  This is BEFORE my nap...



A pic of some of the poisons pumping through my veins - the clear bag is the stuff responsible for the cold sensitivity and neuropathy.  When paired with my other chemo, it is shown to significantly increase survival rates - so I guess I will just have to get used to wearing gloves to dig around in the freezer. Small price to pay...



My chauffeur, waiter and cheerleader for the day.  Poor guy was so tired and was forced to make small talk with other patients while I napped.


And this is after my nap - totally stoned but looking pretty lucid. Tim had just presented me with a Starbucks decaf plain soy latte. Closest thing to a peppermint mocha I've had in months. Hence the smile...
Here's a funny story. A couple of weeks ago my Dad asked if the chemo was changing my hair colour.  Long pause. He's so cute. Long pause. I had to say, "No Dad, those are my ROOTS!"  There's just no point in getting highlights as I don't know how long it will remain in my head.  Ironically I MAY need to see Dwayne soon for a trim though, my split ends are getting ridiculous.
 

Tim and my girls - Chantelle came for a visit early between appointments she had at the hospital and Kris came for the last few hours before going to work. It's always awesome to have a few visitors throughout as it makes the 5 hours go by a little faster.

Chemo #4 Posse
Tim took me for an all day breakfast (minus the toast and hashbrowns - bah!) for lunch after being such a little trooper. Then we went home and I slept most of the afternoon. He made the most delicious cilantro infused tilapia for supper, to which I added sauteed veggies and salad.  This is all part of my new low-carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, fun-free diet to try to starve my canser.  Not easy to actually GAIN weight eating like this, but we are learning some new tricks to add calories as we go.  I am eating so many nuts that I am starting to look like a damn chipmunk.
Chantelle came over for the evening and kept us laughing as only Chantelle can do with her "Tales of the Week."  I also had some good long chats with Nance (who also had chemo today - her second-to-last one I might add! Wahoo!) and Nistor to get the latest news out of Edmonton. Overall, a pretty good day, considering.

1 comment:

  1. Well! Aren't you special! You're own chemo room? I was always in the "chemo hall" with several others. There was beeping all over the place. I was always extra glad to have Kevin or other family there to make sure the nurses weren't getting my particular poisons mixed up with someone else's. If not for Kevin's keen attention to detail, it would have happened a couple of times.

    So sorry about your neuropathy! that's a drag. I, too, have suffered with pain in the bottoms of my feet from chemo. Still. But ... at least I'm alive to complain about it a little. It's not as bad as it was, that's for sure.

    I ate (eat) a lot more nuts, too. Brazil nuts -- high in selenium. I don't know if selenium calculates into your type of cancer but it's recommended for prevention of breast cancer.

    Keep on keeping on, Barb! You're doing great! I'm so glad you have such a helpful and active team working with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete