Wednesday 30 May 2012

Little known fact: The Canadian Loonie has 11 Sides and I've had 11 Chemos.

So does that make me LOONIE for saying that I had an incredibly good day? On Chemo-Day #11? We had the first warm AND sunny day in Saskatoon in recent memory.  Chantelle was sweet enough to take me the the Canser Clinic this morning and Kristie and Soph were sweet enough to meet us even though they had been up since 5am.  Even though poor Mommy looked tired, she stopped at Tim's for a decaf for her, and a coffee and muffin for me.  The four of us had a hoot! I've said it before - having kids or dog's around really negates the need for television. Kristie is so fun to watch parent because is in a way so laid back, but takes no guff from her two year old either.  I find Sophie highly entertaining, with her big vocabulary and bigger personality.  She gave me some great cuddles and kisses and hugs and let "Chantelley" zerbert her tummy at her leisure. Today's Chemo team:

Old Faithful - there whenever she can be...



Old Faithful 2 - also there whenever she can be...but today was Soph's first time.



Soph being there REALLY lightened the mood.
I should send a huge shout out to Patty at the Canser centre, I pre-warned her about the number of visitors I was going to have and she made a point of giving me a private room.  Once again, sometimes membership has it's privileges!

After Kris and Sophie left, my buddy Cam brought our boss, Michelle for a good visit. Wow, I haven't had THIS many visiters since Chemo #1! Chantelle had to head out to make some calls, so Cam and Michelle stayed with me until I was done...

Takeda - Portion of the chemo team...we obviously didn't co-ordinate out colors!

Then they took me for dim-sum at the Genesis. I can't even remember the last time I saw Michelle OR ate lunch at the Genesis....and being a little bit stoned made the experience that much more special! Who else can admit they are half cranked while hanging with their manager, can't remember half of what either of us said and then chirp about it on the internet? Joking aside, I can't express how supportive my whole Takeda team has been, most especially Michelle and Cam. The two of them have taken on a tonne of extra work since my sick leave started and have given me the peace of mind to focus on my health these past months, rather than focusing on work. Let's not forget Pam, who has called almost every day to make me laugh and made the road trip twice, Kendal who is constantly sending me voice notes of her singing to "Don't Stop Believing"  by Journey and Jason who text messages me to let me know whenever he is donating blood.  Some of the best people I know. 

They dropped me off and I headed straight to bed and called Spankers to see how things are going in Winnipeg and I would LOVE to tell you, but I was in a post-chemo fog and don't remember a thing about the conversation. Dumb. She's going to get a kick out of that, I guarantee it. I think I might even have spoken to Pam in the afternoon, but even that is a little fuzzy. After the sleep that really wasn't, (Bailey was snoring like an over weight truck driver with sleep apnea and a belly full of beer.) I woke up with a grump on. I wasn't feeling fantastic and the sleep was in no way uninterrupted, but lucky for me, my good day didn't end there. Tim called and busted my hump until he had me laughing and happy again.  He's so good. Then I called Dad-dio and had a great time on the phone with him too. Soon after my friend Dave from Ontario called, I haven't see him since last Spring, so it was great to catch up and chat. We are going through a similar situation these days, he's just about 5 months behind me.  Again, it is always good to have a big support team, but no one can understand what you are going through more than someone else who is facing it as well.

Then, two really good friends popped by - thank you Phil and Mardi, you made my month. It was SO good to see you both and just talk and laugh. I am lucky enough to see Mardi about once a month or so, but this was the first time I have seen Phil in almost 3.5 years. You two look good and healthy and were a sight for sore eyes. Please, don't be strangers.


One other thing, I got a lot of great text messages and BBM's today, cheering me on and just letting me know they are thinking of me. You know who you are Ladies and Gents, and it means the world to me and makes me remember I am in no way alone in this fight. Hugs.

Seriously, is it 1am? How did THAT happen and better yet, how am I going to possibly get moving before noon tomorrow?  I have a few errands to run in the morning and then plan to spend the day in doing laundry, packing and walking the dog. Busy, busy...
Better sign off. Good Night Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment