Thursday 24 May 2012

Cheers to Dad-dio

All, it's been a few days since I updated - it's been a rough week for a variety of reasons with which I have no need to bore you. However, today I got up enough gumption to go out and spend the day with Dad and Dorothy. And I have to say that I just feel so incredibly lucky to have them in my life.  
My Dad really is one of the kindest-hearted men I have ever met - at least where I am concerned, and really, what else matters these days more to me than me?  ;-)  This whole illness has caused him so many sleepless nights, so many tears and so much fear and it really is one of the hardest things for me - to see him struggle to keep it together for me.  But he has been incredible , I think there might have been a only handful of days in the last 7 months that we haven't seen each other or spoken on the phone.  (As you may or may not know he typically calls me most days around 5:30pm so he doesn't interrupt my daily dose of Y&R.) He took care of me in the hospital when Tim couldn't be there. He spent weeks and weeks with me during the early (and very worst) chemo treatments. He took care of me on days when I was nothing short of a nasty little shrew who snapped at him for the tiniest things. He saw me at my worst, on days when we both thought I wouldn't survive the year.  And he was always there with a hug, a shoulder to cry on and sometimes just a hand to hold when I was scared. I am writing all this for a couple of reasons.  He recently took off my hands what would surely have been a very stressful situation and took care of it so that I wouldn't have to deal with it - because as all the canser guru's preach, CANSER + STRESS=BAD. I have just been feeling lately like he's not getting enough credit as a major player on Team James, so it's time to show him off a bit:

Wow, how's that for a height differential with the son in law?

The Bender Cuddle, should be patented. It really IS that good.
Dorothy and "the kids".



These pics were all taken on my Dad's camera last fall, before I got sick.  I just saw them for the first time yesterday, so decided to steal the disc they were on and take a few for myself. And wouldn't you know it? The flash didn't work on the one picture of me and Dad. Pisser.







































































1 comment:

  1. Hats off to your Dad, Barb. I got a little teary reading this. I was just thinking yesterday about how much I missed having my Dad here while I was going through my canser ordeal. It sure would have been nice to have him around. He would have been a great comfort and help to me, I know.

    ReplyDelete