Tuesday 15 May 2012

The "10" Commandments

Ok People,
Today was chemo #10 and today's team consisted of Parch who drove me to chemo, grabbed me a tall green tea and spent the morning with me until after 11am. I was really tired, so he left and I snoozed on and off until my treatment was done at 1pm. I finished JUST as Nasher walked in to pick me up. Love those boys for taking care of me when Tim and my girls can't be here.  I took the Magic Mouthwash with me and Parch managed to pry it open for me. The day was pretty good - great nurses and no nausea today. YAY!





SO recently I found out yet ANOTHER friend of mine, close in age to me was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon canser. WTH? This is just getting ridiculous. SO I thought I would take this opportunity to list my TOP TEN ways to deal with chemo:

1. Keep a hopeful and positive mindset as much as possible - it is key for healing and immune boosting - and do that by doing what you love. For me it is spending time with people I enjoy - specifically my Inner Circle. I have heard for others it is catching up on their reading while enjoying a Starbucks at Chapters. 

2. Ativan, Ativan, Ativan - whether you are asleep or stoned, it helps to prevent over-thinking but is also a good way to fast-forward your way through the nasty side effects.

3. EMEND, EMEND, EMEND - the best anti-nausea med on the market. Enuff said.

4. Find someone you can talk to, who has been through the same or a similar situation.  It helps so much to have someone to kabitz with, cry with, get angry with and problem-solve with.

5. Drink as much water (with lemon) as you can get in you the day of and the few days after chemo to flush you kidneys.

6. Eat as clean as you can, but for God's sake, EAT! Keep your weight and strength up.  Freshly squeezed vegetable juices, Japanese green tea, edamame beans and miso soup are all very good for you.  And move your body as much as you can - walk, run, work-out, bike, whatever.  I personally feel that as long as I am moving, I CAN'T be dying. 

7. Regularly clean your door handles, light switches, toilet handles, phones, computers and steering wheel with anti-bacterial wipes - it is so important to avoid bacteria and viruses, especially around Day 5 and the few days after.

8. Take at least 5000 I.U. of Vitamin D per day, as should your spouse to avoid getting sick.

9. Allow yourself bad days. They will come and you can't be the proverbial "Warrior" every single day.

10. Live each day to the fullest and remember, you are NOT alone in this fight. We are all sending you good, healthy and strong vibes. 

I had a great chat with Nance this evening and she said they she is all over the place mentally. We both thought that since she was 7 weeks post-chemo that the chemo-brain would back off a bit, but turns out she is still a bit messed up. To which I say:



Pot, meet kettle. 
BJ out!

No comments:

Post a Comment