Friday 20 July 2012

WARNING: The Content of this Post may be Offensive to Some Viewers

If Laughter is the Best Medicine...then I should be the very picture of health, thanks to Riley Bender.  He has been the source of a tonne of giggles the past few days. He is at an incredibly fun age right now.



Exhibit A:
Picture it. Tim on the front step making a business call to his boss (in an attempt to find a quiet spot to chat). I am on the living room floor playing with the kids and Riley gets up and disappears outside. I check once to make sure he is being quiet while Tim is on the phone. All seemed kosher. Wrong. What happened next is one of those stories that Dad's covet, if only to use as a source of embarrassment when their sons bring home their first girlfriend.  
I need to preface this with the fact that Riley JUST started using the potty last week.  So, Riley pops his head out the door quietly to check on Daddy, then sneaks out on the front porch with him.  Tim said that Riley was nice and quiet and he was able to focus his attention on the call that he was making and kind of forgot Riley was out there for a little bit.  THEN, he turns around just in time to see Riley drop trow on the front lawn in an age old rite of passage that all young men go through. Daddy couldn't have been prouder, although stifling his laughter at the site of this first time event wasn't easy.  Wait.  It gets better.  Still on the phone with his boss, Tim does his best to hide his laughter (and his pride, I'm sure) and turns away for a bit as he talks. He then turns back to Riles just in time to see that he is still standing there with his shorts around his ankles, only now he is tilted a little forward, at approximately a 30 degree angle. I think you know where I am going with this. Tim notices the grimace of determination on his little guy's face.  Uh oh!  He knows that look from changing hundreds of diapers.  Sure enough, Riles follows #1 with a #2, all while standing, all while on the front lawn, all while Tim is still on the phone.  With his BOSS. As Daddy races over to survey the damage, he notices that said #2 has defied gravity and become lodged in his butt cheeks.  He is now grabbing the little man by the butt cheeks (cellphone squeezed between his cheek and his shoulder), prying them apart and vigorously shaking the little fella to try and shake loose his new "tail".  Mission accomplished. But THAT'S when Riley loses his balance for a second and steps back directly into the "pile".  Unfortunately, I heard this all second-hand. All I saw was Tim coming through the front door with Riley under one arm, underwear still down around his ankles, making a bee-line for the bathroom, shaking his head.

What a guy!


Exhibit B:
After dinner last night, we all decided to go out and play some soccer in the backyard. It was a pretty warm and humid night, and before you know it both Avery and Riley pull off their shirts to cool down.  About 5 minutes later, Riley comes up to me and says in the most earnest voice, "Bawbie, you can take your sweater and shirt off too, if you want."  Of course I thanked him, but declined. 
I will endeavour to keep you posted on any new "Riley Capers."

Today has been a FANTASTIC day. I woke up feeling well-rested and rejuvenated. After work, Tim and I headed to the Savannah Golf Course to get in a round before I leave on Sunday. It is a beautiful course and if I do say so myself, I had an incredible back nine with my new clubs. The story of the day though came when Tim scored an eagle by holing out from 100 yards.  It was a thing of beauty. And so cool to see the ball land on the green....and then disappear. Of course, it would have been MORE fun had it been my shot, but whatever.






No comments:

Post a Comment