Monday 25 June 2012

We Have More Shrinkage...




Well, I got the results from my CT scan today. Overall, they were quite positive – the two largest tumors have once again shrunk (although not as much as I would like, from 15.5mm to 12mm and from 11.8 to 10mm) and all the smaller ones have shrunk as well, which is great because at the last scan they were ”stable”.  My oncologist said this is what he expected as it is a slow process with the type of canser I have.  He is removing the Oxaliplatin from my treatment regime for the time being because the neuropathy has now moved from my hands to my feet.  And although I was hoping that we would be able to spread out the treatments to every three weeks, he thinks it is too early to do so, SO I am still on a two week schedule – at least for the next three months.  At that time we will do another scan to see how my body is responding.  The good news is that I am gaining weight (FINALLY). I was down to just under 86 lbs at the time of my surgery and I have reached a new milestone – 95 lbs!!! Yay me! (and Tim and McDonald’s) Only 12 pounds to go to get back to my fighting weight!
Dad came to town tonight to stay because Chantelle is out of town at a meeting and Kristie has to work, so he is taking me to Chemo #13 tomorrow.  Can’t wait (insert sarcasm here). 
The weekend in Cambridge with Tim was amazing, not only did it serve to keep my mind off of the CT results, but the weather was INCREDIBLE and we got to do lots of fun stuff.  Friday we did 18 holes of golf and then took the kids to see "Brave". 


Awesome show for older kids, but I am warning you now - there is a pretty scary scene where our kids were visibly scared and we were sure they were going to have nightmares. Saturday was incredibly busy - we took the kids to Avery's soccer (it was so hot we had to strip them down to their underwear and put ice packs on their necks afterward), then to Tim's sister Jody's house to hang at their pool for the afternoon and then out for supper with his family to celebrate his Mom's birthday. I am pretty sure they all think I am the biggest klutz going, considering I knocked a giant metal dragonfly off Jode's front door, not once but TWICE. Jeepers Creepers.

 Here are some pics from the weekend:

Gramma's Birthday Celebration

Tim must have taken this pic while I was sleeping in

Riley at Jody's pool

Avery
 Man oh man, were we tired after that, but it was a 'good' kind of tired.  

Well, I better try to hit the hay - I have another long morning at the canser clinic ahead of me. And Bailey just barfed on my bedroom floor - awesome. That should make for a nice, quiet night.


 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Barb. I am focused on the good news from your scans and although it sucks that you must continue further chemo treatments you are a seasoned veteran now and will breeze through no problem. And with Oxaliplatin now being removed perhaps the side effects won't be nearly as bad.

    I am also receiving lots of information of research from a friend of mine on curcurmin/tumeric powder in combination with FOLFOX (and other chemo standard) that you may be interested in reading and discussing with your Onc.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17918158?dopt=Abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20332435


    Love your positive attitude, Barb - it continues to inspire me to be strong.

    ReplyDelete