Tuesday 26 June 2012

Chemo #13 and Milestone Birthday Wishes

Team James,
Wow, so much to talk about and not a lot of time to do it.  Dad took me to Chemo today - first time he has gone and thankfully it was a shorter deal today than it has ever been.  Turns out that by taking Oxiplatin off the table, I also didn't have to sit through two bags of Calcium-Magnesium either (which is used to reduce side effects of the Oxaliplatin). I made sure to take my anti-nausea drug on time today, applied the numbing cream to my port on time and loaded up my chemo bag with lots of healthy snacks. So we had a nice little visit, complete with green tea, coffee, digestibles, snap peas and oranges. I was thrilled when Parchy walked and surprised me - I had no idea he was coming! (Sorry about the flip-flops Parch - it only took me 5 hours to figure out what you were talking about.)  It turned out really well because just about the time he got there, I was getting really tired and he and my Dad were able to kill an hour talking about fishing.  Below are the pics of me and my Chemo Boys. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Tim's Aunt Lila who knit this gorgeous shawl for me to wear to chemo - it is beautiful and has come in so handy as I always seem to be cold these days.




After the treatment was done, Dad and I zipped over to Cabela's, Wal-Mart and....you guessed it...Toonie Tuesday at KFC! Ha! I figure if I am going to eat that garbage (high calorie garbage though it may be) that I better do it on chemo day so it can obliterate any negative effects of eating fast food. Speaking of food, I came home to find yest ANOTHER lovely meal from my good friend Jason at Dinner at your Door - which let's be honest, will feed me for two to three days! Thanks Buddy! You are a life saver.




 After Dad-dio left, I hit the sheets and slept for almost 3 hours - it was awesome.  Bailey usually wakes me at 3pm for her first supper, but she fell asleep too and didn't bother me until after 4:30.  She is so great some days. 


I had a great couple of conversations tonight, got caught up with Marly and Nance - and I was lucky enough to receive tonnes of emails and text messages from so many of you - thank you all for your continued support on this journey.




Finally, a big Birthday hug for my new mother-in-law, Barb Bender! She is one of those ladies who is quick to laugh, is happy to help anywhere she can and is as tough as nails, being a two-time canser survivor.   XOXO Barb!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment