Friday 1 March 2013

Thank the Gods THAT is over.....

So, Chemo #30 is over and I couldn't be happier. Man, it was a rough one. Ironic, since THIS is how I felt going IN to chemo....

I was even wearing a Superman shirt.
 
And THIS is how I felt about an hour later....

Once again, I resembled Harry Dunne. Awesome.

All this thanks to the fact that I got a little stoned last time when they gave me the shot of Atropine that prevents potential immediate and emergent diahrrea and cramps that (turns out) could drop a yak. Since I got a little loopy and had no problems with my guts last time, I suggested that we cut the dose in half to see what would happen and I thought the doc agreed with me. 

It's not like I was loaded and causing a disturbance, right?

It wasn't until we got there that my nurse Janice told me he hadn't ordered it at all for me UNLESS I started displaying symptoms. Now, I'm not exaggerating when I say within about 10 minutes it felt like my insides wanted to be on my outside. I cannot tell a lie - the cramping almost buckled me. I was bent over in the fetal position for about 15 minutes when they decided it was time to give me the shot and even offered me a bed b/c I was so uncomfortable that I think I was making everyone else in the room uncomfortable too. And 45 minutes after the Atropine, it was like it never happened. I was a little tired for awhile, but perked up quite nicely by the end my session. In fact, Tim and I were bantering back and forth so much that we had the nurses absolutely howling. And he teased me so much (he may have called me a b*tch for eating a bag of Cheetos from the hospital vending machine and hiding the evidence) that ONCE AGAIN I flushed like I was having a hystamine reaction and the nurses started panicking. Funny though, I gave him a shot right back and my flush disappeared and the nurses thought THAT was even more hilarious.

So, on the way home Tim treated me to a trip to the Golden Arches....

And once again, all was right with the world!


1 comment:

  1. BJ you continue to inspire me! Damn you are a tough skinny-ass battler. So glad you haven't lost that wicked sense of humour despite being on #30...I actually think fighting cancer makes our wit that much more sharp - chemo brain and all ;-). I tell my followers that "they can remove 13cm of large intestine but they cannot take away my sense of humour"...it's usually good for a laugh. And you and I will still be laughing and cracking other people up many many many many years from now. Thank you as always for being an inspiration, BJ. But enough of the warm and fuzzies....and more importantly..what did you get at McD's?

    ReplyDelete