Thursday 19 April 2012

Just Ducky...

Gah! I did it again. I had a very nice day but forgot the darn camera at home. Kristie brought Sophie and Rosco for a walk today, and we had a great time. There seem to be a lot of mallards nesting in the creeks and lakes around my house and Sophie got a huge kick out of all the "buiddies". Then we went to the playground and played on the slide - she especially loved it when I put Bailey on my lap and slid down behind her. The ONLY problem about the walk from my point of view was the crazy cold sensitivity I am having with my face. The finger tips are one thing, but the mouth is quite another.  By the end of the walk, my face, I swear, looked like I had just had dental surgery. The entire left side of my mouth and lips were drooping like a stroke victim (or Elvis). And my speech at that point sounded like a cross between Sly Stallone, Mike Tyson, and a deaf person.  It only lasts as long as I am cold though - 5 minutes of being in the house and warming up and it goes away. My oncology nurse thinks it is a pretty serious side effect, but the good thing is I only have 4 more cycles of Oxaliplatin, the drug which I think is causing it.  The bad news is I made the mistake for calling Olson after my walk yesterday, unaware of how it had affected my speech until I started leaving a voice mail message, and by then it was too late to stop talking because I was afraid she would think I had a stroke. Aaaaand, NOW she has a recording of it, and if I know Nance, this is not the last I will be hearing that little message. In fact, she is likely to figure out a way to record it and forward it everyone I know who has any interest in busting my hump. How do I know this? She still has a voice mail message saved from THREE YEARS ago that have made the rounds and she still listens to it periodically. It is affectionately referred to as the Kermit message.

And it all started the weekend of the matching Elmo shirts. We had a Sesame Street theme going and didn't even know it!


This afternoon I had a very nice coffee date with my old colleague Brent Kwon. He picked me up at the house and had a great visit at Tim Horton's - (I chased my green tea with a fruit explosion muffin for extra calories) and it was so good to see him. We haven't sat down together for a visit since last September, before this whole thing started so it was great to see him and get caught up.



It was a long day, with lots going on and no nap, so now I am exhausted. Hoping I have a better night than the last, when I woke up every hour on the hour. Good night all, and take care out there...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb.

    Just thinking about you and hoping you're holding up well and are able to enjoy this summerish weather we're having. I was just reading some of Xeni's tweets about her chemo treatments and I knew you would get a kick out of some of them. Here are some to amuse or mollify you.

    "If you know someone in chemo today - hug em. But you know, not if you have a cold"

    "Everything happens for a reason. Except shit that happens for no particular reason".

    "Chemo - the gift that keeps on giving. Just when you think you're on top of it, some new painful/surreal/yucky side effect says hello".

    "Chemo is a shit-filled pinata. You keep whacking at it blindly and horrible things keep dropping out to surprise you."

    "When I go in for chemo, I take pot cookies. My oncologist gave me a recommendation letter. It's all legal."

    "Welcome to the chemodrome."

    "My chemo nurse said I was a "patient parfait", or "perfect patient" as my brother confirms. My ears are full of Benadryl.

    "The sight of vinyl-covered recliner chairs now gives me chemo flashbacks." (ditto that)

    ReplyDelete