Saturday 14 April 2012

Checking In...

Ok, so it's been quite awhile since my last post, my apologies. It's been a bit of a rough cycle - I'm not ashamed to admit that #7 knocked the stuffing out of me. I did nothing but sleep the entire Easter weekend away and somehow the Easter bunny forgot about me! (Hoppy little bastard). Chantelle was nice enough to invite me to not one, but TWO dinners - both of which I had to decline because I was just so wiped out. There is definitely a cumulative effect happening here that I could do without.  Enough complaining...I am grateful for chemo, I am grateful for chemo, I am grateful for chemo.  But still, it would be really nice if some oncologist somewhere could come up with a non-toxic chemotherapy that didn't obliterate your appetite, your tastebuds, your skin, your nose, your mouth, your hands, your eyes, your brain, your energy - you get my point.
I was land-locked this week as well, and to be honest, sometimes it's just easier to stay in bed than get ready for a day of sitting at home doing nothing.  SO, my plan next week is to solve this problem of being without a car. Wish me luck. Those of you who know me well, know that I am the most indecisive person on the planet. I am having trouble deciding how much I want to spend and what type of vehicle to get. Turns out that after 13 years of company vehicles, I've turned into a bit of a car-snob (one gets used to that new car smell) and a cheap-skate (the idea of paying for my own gas gives me heart palpitations). Add to the equation that I still have no idea how LONG I will be off work, and you have a girl who can't decide between paying as little as I can for a beater to get me around the city for the summer or spending substantially more for a more reliable car in case I am off work indefinitely.  Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Why is nothing ever easy?
Yesterday was a bit of a treat for me, Kristie and Sophie came over and brought Rosco for a visit. While they went to a doctor's appointment, I took Rosco and Bailey out for a nice, long walk. Now Rosco is a 13 week-old Roti/Shepard mix. He is a sweet, curious pup.  He is also bigger than Bailey and this was their first meeting. So far, she's not overly impressed. She's old and cranky and he is young and playful. She would have none of it.  He isn't 100% clear how walks work yet - and as a result the first ten minutes were mayhem. Picture it:  Bailey stopping to sniff and pee every ten feet, Rosco walking INTO me and under my feet, my hair blowing in my face in the gale force winds, Bailey refusing to walk anywhere near him, Rosco's body automatically drifting in whatever direction his eyes were pointed, Bailey not appreciating the butt-sniffing, Rosco constantly chewing his leash, wanting to play and not understanding that the idea of a walk is to actually do his business and eventually stopping and sitting politely by while Bailey did hers - numerous times.  Overall, it was a success but WAY more work than I am used to with just one dog. He really is the sweetest dog, but Kristie is starting to think that maybe his older brother is also his daddy and that would explain the length of time it is taking to train him.  I think she just has to get used to a puppy again.


Seriously? How gorgeous is he???

And Bailey couldn't be less impressed.


Today was filled with lots of ups and downs. I got up, had breakfast, showered and promptly went back to bed. It's a good thing Dawn came for a visit this afternoon or I might never have made it out of the wrapper. And thank goodness she did. I have known Dawn since our university days, she was the one who referred me for my job with Janssen and it has been a very long time since last we saw each other. She is so sweet that she stopped at the grocery store on the way over and bought the fixings for homemade chicken soup - then walked into my condo like she had lived there for years and just started cooking! What an amazing friend! She also happens to be one of the smartest, wittiest, funniest girls I know. And once again, chemo brain made me forget to take a new pic, but here's one from the good old days....



As good SK girls do - cheering on the Riders while drinking our fair share of Pil...
That is so IT for tonight. It's after 1am and usually I am out cold by 9:30am. Poor Bailey is going to have to work extra hard to get me out of bed in the morning for breakfast.  Shouldn't be too hard, she has a way of strategically placing her front paw right on my throat that gets my up every time.  Goodnight everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment