Wednesday 29 August 2012

Day 8


Well Folks, the good news is that after a rough Day 4 and 5, things with my side effects have finally settled down.  My fingers still feel like someone else's and constantly feel like they have electrical currents running through them, but that is a small price to pay for the opportunity to wake up each morning, I guess. It does make texting on the old Blackberry a huge challenge, but I have already asked Santa Tim for a new cell phone for Christmas, one with a touch screen that won't hurt my fingers and constantly break my nails. I can't wait!

I really have very little to report to be honest, just trying to kill some time while Tim is at work.  Time to find a hobby now that the "Fifty Shades" trilogy is done.  

We have been planning our long weekend coming up - since we don't have the kids, we are hoping to get out golfing a few times and if the weather holds, we are thinking about renting a canoe to float down the Grand River. Hell, we might even hit the gym!  We have made reservations at a nice restaurant on Friday night - praying that Riley has a good night on Thursday so that we have the energy to actually go out on Friday.  If not, it could be another weekend spent recuperating and hitting the sheets by 10 o'clock. 

We went shopping last night to look for ice skates for the kids, and unfortunately I had to admit to Tim that I can't skate and immediately he said that he would teach me. However, after further rumination regarding my utter lack of coordination and penchant for falling down and hurting myself these days - we have both decided that it might be best for me to stay off the ice and drink hot chocolate instead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb! Thanks for keeping up your blog so I can know how you're doing. Sorry about your neuropathy. That sucks. The feeling in my fingers came back almost entirely a few months after I finished chemo. The loss of feeling in my toes and the front of my feet, though, seemed permanent. I fully expected it to MY price to pay for being able to wake up each morning, as you put it. It did rob me of my physical confidence. I found I would fall so easily ... on a perfectly flat, dry surface sometimes. I was especially nervous walking in the winter because I could fall at any time let alone on ice and in winter so many of the surfaces I had to cross ... mostly from the parking lot to where I work ... were uneven.

    What I want to tell you, though, is that even though it's the last thing I expected, after more than 2.5 years since chemo, most of my feeling in my toes and feet have returned. It came back rather dramatically after I started taking those powdered greens I told you about earlier. I was (and still am) astounded. Since the return of feeling in my feet I haven't fallen even once! Remarkable considering how many times I wiped out last summer. I walk much more confidently. It has really felt like a miracle. When the time comes that you can start taking some greens, please give them a try. They certainly can't hurt and they can only help, even if you don't see the same results I've experienced. It reminds me, though, that even when you think it can't, the body can still mend.

    Hang in there, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete