Sunday 5 August 2012

Common Sense: Not So Common

Everyone,
After (yet another) delayed Air Canada flight I am once again in the Land of Living Skies, preparing myself for another round of nukes. The fingers and toes-ies are still driving me crazy, I've lost all sense of co-ordination (I realize there are those of you out there who might argue that I never really had any to begin with) and the throat tends to get pretty sore at night - but other than that, I am doing well.

One small lesson in common sense that I would like to impart to those of you who have never had canser - the very last thing that those of us who DO have it or HAVE had it ever want to hear, especially from a stranger on an airplane, is the number of people you know who have died early as a result of IT. Seriously?  I tend to explain to whoever happens to be sitting beside me on my flights that I am wearing a surgical mask because my immune system is suppressed due to some medical treatments that I am having, and that I am neither infectious nor crazy.  As a result today, the "gentleman" (and I use the term loosely) sitting next to me asked what type of treatments, so I told him. Aaaaaaand then he proceeded to tell me about his 37 year old friend who just passed recently from canser and that his mom has throat canser and the chemo is no longer working so they are basically waiting for her to die. 

Why on God's green earth would one EVER think that is something I would want to hear? In my opinion, the single hardest thing that "we" have to deal with on a daily basis is an ever-present awareness of the uncertainty of our futures - and the last thing we need is to be reminded of it by perfect strangers.  So please, if you are ever presented with this scenario, do everyone a favour and keep your dooms-day stories to yourself.  



*Note to self: stop being so polite to fellow passengers and start coughing on them as soon as they begin to make small talk. 

On a lighter note, thanks to Tim's mom Barb for a cooler FULL of fantastic baking. Madam, you make a mean chocolate-banana muffin. 

2 comments:

  1. O.M.G.! I hate it when that happens. Stranger Danger! Obviously your traveling neighbour wasn't thinking about you. That's just awful and I so know how horrified and trapped you must have felt. I had a few similar experiences that left me thinking, REALLY?!

    Sorry about your neuropathy. Try those greens if your onc will let you. I used to just randomly fall down, which was scary and unnerving. I never used to do that, so I think it must have been from my toes and the fronts of my feet being numb. I was nervous every day, especially in the winter, walking from the parking lot to my office. I did fall several times even though I was very careful. My stability (and confidence) has improved remarkably with my getting some feeling back in my feet, which only happened after I started taking "greens". It's been like magic. I can't say for sure that it will improve things for you, Barb, but it can't hurt (provided your oncologist gives you the go-ahead - I don't know if it's recommended while you're still doing chemo).

    Hang in there, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, dude?!!! What the f#$% were you thinking telling Barb about your friend who died early from cancer and your mother? I agree with Heather...STRANGER DANGER! We cannot avoid it nor can we avoid them (strangers that is). Just put it down to being ignorant as to our experience, Barb and be reminded of all those other survivors that we know or know of, those that have defied the odds, the stats and the doctors.

    Keep being that figure of strength that continues to inspire me even when we don't feel so strong.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete