Tuesday 18 December 2012

Milestone Week



for my mom quotes
All,

This is definitely a week of milestones for me. Yesterday would have been my mom's 66th birthday had canser not taken her so early. You have all heard of me talk about her, so I won't tell you all the great things about her AGAIN. Just know that I am thinking about her a lot right now.

This week we also decorated the tree for the first time as a family...you will notice that it starts out looking one way and ends up looking completely different. Originally, we let the kids decorate the whole thing and then I went back and re-did it with lights, garland and all.




Notice all the bulbs are smack-dab in the middle, right at kid-height...

What it looked like then....



And what it looks like now...




Our cinnamon scented centre piece.

Yesterday Tim and I decided to sponsor a little 7 year old boy from Mozambique - his village doesn't have a well for fresh water, he doesn't go to school and his mom is on her own trying to care for her children. I was in tears when the lady from World Vision told us his story. The Bender clan as a group has adopted a local family for Christmas. And yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and purchased gifts for a toy-drive at Avery's school.  Ever since the shooting in Newtown, Tim and I have been so much more aware of the struggles that others face and we are doing our best to do as many good things for others as we can. It makes us happy to help good people who are less fortunate.

Today was my 25th Chemo Anniversary. Yikes. It took forever and I feel a little "off", so am laying on the sofa with Tim watching the Anderson Cooper coverage of the Newtown shooting, crying like a baby.

Thanks to all who texted today to check in on me...
Please take good care.

Wednesday Update:
Today was ANOTHER milestone for both Tim and I - we attended Avery's Christmas concert over lunchtime. It was the first time either of us had attended one as a parent as opposed to a participant. I would like to post some pictures, but try not to post pics of other people's children without their approval. So instead, I will post one of Avery on her way to the stage:

o
She did a fantastic job! Recited part of a poem and sang a lively rendition of "Father Christmas".







 Aftterwards, we had a few minutes before Tim had to go back to work so we both stopped for gas and a quick McDonald's run. Something we've NEVER done before ;-)
And if you believe that< I have a bridge to sell you...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb! You continue to make wonderful memories for yourself and others while going through some very shitty stuff. I'll bet your Mom is so proud of you and is giving you "angel hugs" when you might not even know it.

    Did you get a gift of silver for your 25th Chemo? Silver that didn't have a needle on the end of it, I mean? Amazing. I know you're just doing what you have to do but still, I can't help but acknowledge what a trooper you are, though I know it's not by choice. You're courage makes you (as a friend of mine said) a "SHE-RO".

    Thanks for the beautiful Christmas card and I wish you and Tim and those you love a very, VERY merry Christmas and wish upon wish for wellness for you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete