Sunday 8 January 2012

And so it begins...

Members of Team James,
Wow, I guess it’s been awhile since I sent out an update. It has been a very, very busy few weeks and I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. Hmm, at the beginning I guess....
The holiday season was lovely, surprisingly lovely considering the circumstances. I wasn’t yet up for travelling so I stayed in Saskatoon, spending most of Christmas with Chantelle and her family. As always, it was a pleasure to be included in the Morrison/Reiber/Shields Christmas celebration.  Tim came to town on Boxing Day and stayed until New Year’s day – we had a fantastic week, topped off by a lovely New Year’s Eve with Chantelle, Kelly, Lance and Marlys. Every day found my voice mail and cell phone full of merry wishes and positive vibes.  Every mail delivery day found my mailbox overflowing with letters, cards, gifts, monkeys (that’s right, I said monkeys!), hats and gift certificates.  I have no words to express my appreciation. You guys ROCK! I did manage to get about 80% of my Christmas cards sent, thanks to my Dad and our own little assembly line. The 20% of you who have yet to receive your Christmas Cards can expect some lovely holiday-themed “Congratulations it’s January and Not 150 Degrees Below Zero Outside!” cards very soon....
I also started taking the Low Dose Naltrexone on New Year’s night (A HUGE Thank-You to Michelle and Tim for ALL your work on this for me) – I thought it was a great and very symbolic day to start what I am affectionately referring to as “my progression to remission”.  It took some problem solving to get a script for this medication in Saskatchewan – I actually had to do a Skype consultation with a doctor from New York and have my family doc sign off on it.  The dispensing pharmacist was incredibly positive about LDN and it’s potential to treat a variety of different diseases, including canser. (Purposely misspelled – just my own little bit of rebellion – not giving it anymore respect than it deserves.)
The past week has been spent going to many medical appointments, a two-day visit from my sister and niece and some spa pampering.  I finished my last IV Vitamin C infusion this past week, visited my chiropractor for some help with some relentless and very nasty residual back pain, and had an informative and very positive appointment with my surgeon.  First of all, he gave me the green light to drive again, so I am no longer trapped in my house! Wahoo – FREEDOM!  He also instructed me to get back to the gym and enjoy the occasional glass of wine, should I so choose. Funny, I was under the impression that since he cut out a good portion of my liver, that avoiding alcohol was a bit of a necessity – but turns out I was wrong.  Hmm, who knew? THAT would have been a handy little nugget of knowledge on New Year’s Eve, drinking Raspberry Cider while coveting the champagne that made it’s way around the Cory dinner table.  Ah well, there’s always next year!
This week has been challenging aside from me and my health.  My family lost one of it’s most beloved and revered members on Thursday evening, my Auntie Leona. She was an amazing woman, who left an incredible legacy in the form of a very large and loving family.  I am incredibly grateful that my chemo schedule will allow me to attend the celebration of her life tomorrow.
Which brings me to....CHEMOTHERAPY week.  Yikes. I would be lying if I said that I’m not a little anxious about this whole process, but luckily I have had some incredible advice and support from some of my gals (Nancy, Barb, Diane, Heather and Anne) who have and are kicking canser’s proverbial posterior. And let me just say that I couldn’t find a group of stronger broads with whom to align myself on this journey.  SO, Monday morning Dad and I will head up to Prince Albert to attend the funeral – getting back to the city by 2:30 to pick up Tim from the airport.  Monday night is date night, so if you need me you could find us fattening me up at the Granary and watching a mindless movie @ Galaxy.  So good and so normal.
Tuesday morning will be filled with an early morning chiropractor appointment, a physiotherapy appointment and a long leisurely afternoon at the canser clinic with Tim and Kristie, being infused with a chemo cocktail designed  to nuke the little trouble-makers who seem to enjoy squatting and reproducing in my liver. Being my first treatment, I will get a private room – which is lucky b/c I’ve noticed that one of the side effects of my canser is a complete and utter lack of interest in filtering my language.  It would seem that I swear like a trucker these days and wouldn’t want to offend my new peeps on the first day.  Hmmm, not very lady-like, but I don’t really give a damn. Winking smile  Unfortunately Chantelle is away at meetings the day of my treatment, so she is planning to participate via electronic chat (not easy for a self-proclaimed control freak) and I am planning on taking my camera to record the day’s festivities for posterity.  Although my chemo plan is pretty aggressive and I am confident it will be effective, side effects are very much an unknown at this point.  The research I have done indicates that comparatively speaking, my cocktail is a relatively mild program with respect to side effects, but everyone reacts differently and all I can do is hope that any side effects that do present themselves are manageable. 
So, here we go with Phase II of my mission.  Thank you all for your continued interest and support – everyone of you has at one point or another given me another reason the beat this thing. 
Bring it ON!
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment